Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fair Concerts

As any 4H alumni can tell you, fairs are a huge part of your life. Then comes the big show: the state fair. I still look forward to the summer time and all of the small country fairs around my hometown, but this year I am especially looking forward to the state fair, and not to reminisce about my old 4H-ing day . . . but because of the music line up set up for the fair that week.

If you know anything about me, you know that I love music, and I definitely have some favorites. I am a big fan of country music so I always look forward to the Fargo fair and the state fair because they usually have a good country lineup. This year at the North Dakota State Fair, Dierks Bently, Taylor Swift, Motley Crue, Rodney Atkins, Heidi Newfield, and my personal favorite Gary Allan will all be gracing us with their presence.

I am very excited.

My hometown county fair never really any big name music stars come and play, but the atmosphere is still amazing. Johnny Holm and Blue Collar Hero (frequent players in ND) are regulars, and 32 Below will be debuting this summer. (They plan to play the last dance on campus at VCSU in April. Check out their site here.) Back in the day, before he was famous, Kenny Chesney played the Ransom County Fair and played a game of pool with my friend’s dad.

Concerts are a great way of bringing people together. After a long week of work in the summer and not having seen my friends for a long time, a fair concert in Fargo at the Red River Valley Fair or Bismarck is always something we look forward to. A lot of my favorite memories involve a fair or a concert. . . I think many people from small rural towns would agree with me.

Concerts are a big part of who I am, and so are small town fairs (yep, still a 4H nerd at heart!) So I encourage you to check out your county’s fair this summer, and if you are feeling really ambitious, drive to our states capitol (if it’s not under water) and check out the State Fair.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for the state fair, too. I already have a hotel booked the night of Gary Allan. I, too, always look forward to the fairs during the summer. Although I heard that the RRVF in Fargo isn't doing concerts anymore...

    That's pretty cool that Kenny Chesney played at the Ransom County Fair. I am going to see him in Fargo this summer too. :) And I do agree with you that fairs and concerts are a favorite summertime memory of mine...along with derbies and camping too!

    ReplyDelete