Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Online Radio

We all listen to the radio. Whether it is in your car, on a portable radio, or a classic boombox, we have all turned one on in some point in our lives. My CD player in high school had an AM FM radio in it and I remember thinking that was soooo cool. The other radios in our house were in forms of alarm clocks and the radio that was 40 years old set up in our garage for my dad to listen to while he was working outside. I would say my main radio fix usually comes from my car. It is convenient. I am usually able to find stations no matter where I am driving to (it is harder to in the valley though) and have a large selection of different channels that play different types of music.

When you are in your house you are limited to the stations nearest your home. While you are in your car, depending where you are, some stations come in clearer than others. However, there is something out there that makes listening to the radio even more convenient; online radio.

I first started using the internet as a source for my radio enjoyment while working last summer. I knew that it was out there, I just didn’t know about it. My boss left it up on our computer after her shift, and told me I could play it while I worked. I instantly became a huge fan.

Broadcasting on the internet is referred to as webcasting. The music is “streamed” over the internet providing listeners with nonstop music, or little commercial breaks. With internet radio you are not limited to stations around your local area. Internet radio services are usually accessible around the world. Not only can you listen to radio stations from outside of your home state, but you can listen to music from Europe, Japan, etc. This appealed to me because I listen to a lot of Australian country music.

You can also find any genre of music you want using online radio. Genres like classical, jazz, folk, and standup comedy are hard to find on your local radio stations, but there are plenty of stations online that provide easy access to these genres overlooked by rock, country, and pop.

If this isn’t something you have looked into, I suggest checking out a few of the online radio sites out there like Pandora, Live365, and Yahoo Music. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love listening to the radio, especially when I am traveling and there are so many random stations to listen to. I do dislike the fact that in Valley there are barely any stations that come in. I guess it is a good thing for a cd player in my car! I love the online radio, because there are barely any commercial breaks and you can choose the genre of the music you want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy listening to the radio! In valley there isn't many stations, so then I choose to listen to a cd. I listen to the online radio when I am in the dorms and I love it! I can listen to the stations I have from back home and it is nice since I don't have a radio in my dorm room. The plus is that there are few commericials. I can pick a station that has the kind of music I enjoy. It seems like everything is ending up on the internet now days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never listen to online radio, but I might have to start. It sounds like there's a lot of good stations out there. I like to listen to local radio stations because I can get local information, but in Valley, it's hard to even get stations from Fargo. I listen to my iPod a lot when I'm in Valley, but now and then I like to turn it to the radio. That way I'm able to hear new songs and listen to the DJ's talk. I will probably always listen to the radio, no matter how obsolete it becomes in the future.

    ReplyDelete