Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weather Announcements

Around North Dakota the past week there has been one topic on every station: The Flood. While listening to the radio at work yesterday, every other normal broadcast was taken off air and there were more than three hours straight of weather related announcements on the air having to do with the flood that is taking over our state.

We have all had our favorite song on the radio cut off by the sudden, scary, buzzing sound that comes before an emergency weather announcement. I have been hearing a few lately. Last night on the television my friends and I even witnessed something none of us had ever seen. Instead of a ribbon at the bottom of the screen flashing a flood warning; every channel went pinkish purple for about two minutes making an annoying siren noise, and flashing a message across the whole screen. You’d think it was the end of the world.

The radio has been full of announcements relating to everything to do with the flood. The announcements range from everything from school and community cancellations, closing of roads, and evacuation of homes and entire streets. Along with the sirens going off every few hours here in Valley City, along with the teams of sandbaggers from the community and college, it seems like we are preparing for the movie The Day After Tomorrow.

Schools and colleges around the state have been canceled for the past few days, both because of the weather as well as in hopes of recruiting sandbaggers. My friends and I are preparing to go ourselves in a while . . . I encourage everyone to go out and help! I was too young to help during the flood of ’97, so I am glad that I am of age and able to help this year. Good luck to all North Dakotans with the fight against the flood. Stay dry!

6 comments:

  1. The weather in this state is insane! I cannot believe it snowed again as much as it did. I was looking forward to having no snow and the weather warming up. It is very annoying having the ribbon of announcements on the bottom of the television screen all of the time. Also, it is very annoying on the radio too. I was driving home this weekend and in the middle off a song they cut it off and put on the City of Fargo talking about the flood and the actions they are taking. It is very unfortunate to those whose house's are being damaged. It is a wonderful thing how communities come together in times like this and are willing to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Everyone is acting like the world is about to end but until Jesus comes back I think we're going to be just fine.
    I'm glad to see that most of the town is chipping in in one way or another to help out with the effort. I'm also really glad to see that the athletes from the college are being sent up to do sandbagging. And while some of them who are from out of state/country have been saying certain things about how this isn't their town and they don't need to be helping it's still great that they are (even if they are forced).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that I don't like it when they interrupt the music on the radio. But in all honesty it is a good thing that we have them. They can be helpful in communicating to the mass public. You are also correct on the fact that they seem like the end of the world is coming. Which is kinda funny, but we need to be serious when this stuff happens because we need to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know from a personal view, if this flood or something bad wasn't going on, I wouldn't listen to the radio when there was talking, I would probably change the channel and try to find something that had music on, but because this is affecting me, and it pertains to me. I actually turn the radio up when they talk. This is definitely not a joking matter, I am definitely proud to say that I attend VCSU because of all the efforts our school has put forth to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe the crazy weather we have been getting this year! Getting snow and it is almost April. I thought April showers brought May flowers. It is more like April snowstorms! With all the snow we keep getting, it is causing more problems with the flood efferts! When will we ever get a break from the weather? I think it is amazing to see the community work together and help out the state of North Dakota. All the news has been everywhere, even CNN has come to Fargo. North Dakota is famous, but maybe not famous in a good way.

    ReplyDelete